It was a good sign of some normalcy in the lacrosse world. The Western Lacrosse Association conducted the 2021 Draft on Thursday evening. The night was highlighted by a blockbuster eight-player deal. The oddity is that deal broke down to seven for one proposition. Frank “The Tank” Scigliano was shipped for seven, yes seven! players.
Here is the statement from the WLA. Compensatory picks gave all seven teams the chance to add a top player before the draft order became all jumbled up because of the previous year’s trades.
Tre Leclaire went to Langley as the top compensatory pick, then the Burnaby Lakers, Nanaimo Timbermen, Maple Ridge Burrards, and Victoria Shamrocks chose NLL players or draft picks Ryan Martel, Zach Manns, Anthony Kalinich, and Nathan Kozevnikov respectively.
The first trade came early in the night when the Langley Thunder, who were in need of a goaltender, acquired Frank Scigliano from the Burrards in exchange for four top-15 draft picks, James Rahe, Aiden Milburn, and Dan Lewis. The trade now sets the Thunder up with the best goaltender in recent years. This is to match with their potentially potent offense. The offense includes the likes of Dane Dobbie, Garrett Billings, Curtis Dickson, and Connor Robinson.
The Thunder kept the trades going by sending Brad McCulley to the Shamrocks to get Kozevnikov. The Adanacs jumped in on the trade game by stealing Ryland Rees from the Lakers in exchange for the third and sixth picks.
Another trade on the evening was between the New Westminster Salmonbellies and the Timbermen. In this swap, the 12th pick, Ethan Ticehurst, and a 2021 2nd round pick were sent to Nanaimo for defender Drew Belgrave.
A Good Sign with Draft Selections
Here are the first three rounds of selections, starting with:
- 1- Coquitlam Jalen Chasten (PROTECTED)
- 2- Langley Thomas Vaesen COMPENSATORY)
- 3- Burnaby Austin Madronic (COMPENSATORY)
- 4-Nanaimo Will Johansson (COMPENSATORY)
- 5- New West Will Malcolm (PROTECTED)
- 6-Maple Ridge Dylan McIntosh (PROTECTED)
- 7- Victoria Nick Scott (COMPENSATORY)
- 1- Coquitlam-Thomas Semple
- 2- Maple Ridge- Nate Faccin
- 3- Burnaby- Connor Watson
- 4- Nanaimo- Clinton Lidstone
- 5- Nanaimo- Caleb Kueber
- 6- Langley- Caleb Pearson
- 7- Victoria- Max Wilson
- 8- Victoria- Will Clayton
- 9- Langley- Erik Mass
- 10- Burnaby- Rhys Blake
- 11- Langley- Cal Slate
- 12- New Westminster from Nanaimo Brody Harris
- 13- Maple Ridge- Brendan Szabo
- 14- Langley- Aiden Ellis
- 15- New West- Connor Evers
- 16- Burnaby- Brayden Brown
- 17- Burnaby- Sekanwanes Baker
- 18- Maple Ridge- Jake Stott
- 19- Nanaimo- Tee McComber
- 20- Maple Ridge- Mitchell Nolet
- 21- Victoria- Cameron Dunkerley
The draft was a good sign of things to come. Stay tuned for more lax news by clicking here.