Archers advance to the semifinals

Shawn Slaght, All Lacrosse All The Time – A Division of Edge of Philly Sports Network

A five-goal run for the Archers in the first quarter was all they needed for a 13-8 win over the Redwoods on Saturday afternoon to advance to the semifinals in the PLL.

Connor Fields led the way for the Archers with a pair of goals and three assists. Marcus Holman and Ryan Ambler each added hat tricks, while Tom Schreiber had a pair of goals. Rob Pannell had three of the Redwoods’ eight goals.

Justin Inacio had a hot start on the faceoff dot to start the game for the Archers but tapered off. Inacio went eight for 23 on faceoffs. TD Ierlan went 15 for 24 on the dot for the Redwoods.

The Archers now face advance to the semifinals to face the Chaos, who upset Chrome earlier in the day. They faceoff on Sept. 11. The last time these two teams met was on Aug. 12 in Salt Lake City when the Archers downed Chaos 11-8.

Archers jump out to huge lead

Connor Fields got the scoring going with 11:05 on the clock after Redwoods’ goaltender Jack Kelly turned the ball over. Fields scooped and scored to make it 1-0 for the Archers.

Forty-four seconds later, the Archers would make it 2-0. Fields fed Ryan Ambler for the marker.

The Redwoods would bounce back. Myles Jones on the run made it 2-1 with 9:08 on the clock. The Redwoods tied up the game with 7:32 on the clock. Jules Heningburg flicked a pass from behind the net to Charlie Bertrand for the goal.

Rob Pannell would then give the Redwoods a 3-2 lead. Pannell ran around the net before going five-hole. The Redwoods put together a three-goal run in little more than two minutes.

The Archers would finish off the quarter with five straight goals in 4:20.

Ambler set a pick to allow Grant Ament to come around the cage to score with 5:32 left in the quarter to tie up the game 3-3.

Ament would then send a long feed to Fields for his second goal with 3:43 on the clock to give the Archers the lead again 4-3.

Matt Moore would give the Archers a two-goal lead when Fields found him cutting down the middle for the score to make it 5-3.

The Archers’ offense continued to roll. Amber faked a pick with 1:42 left in the quarter, received a pass, and scored to make it 6-3. Tom Schreiber rounded out the first quarter scoring, turning and picking the corner of the net to make it 7-3 after one.

Archers hold on to lead heading into the half

The Archers continued to dominate to start the second quarter. It started with Tre Leclaire running around the horn and getting a long shot just inside the two-point line at 9:20 on the clock to make it 8-3.

Pannell finally stopped the bleeding for the Redwoods at 7:57 of the second. Going to his left hand, Pannell turned to shoot and scored to narrow the Archers’ lead to four.

The Archers rounded out the first-half scoring with 4:23 left in the half. Fields attracted a number of defenders to find Marcus Holman all alone at the doorstep to make it 9-4 at the break.

Low-scoring third quarter

Both defenses settled down in the second half, as the Archers were only able to outscore the Redwoods 1-0 in the third quarter.

The lone goal came at 6:57 as Moore found Holman on top of the crease to extend the Archers’ lead to 10-4.

The Redwoods’ defense played well to try and keep their team in it, but the offense had a number of opportunities that were squandered throughout the second half. After three quarters, the Redwoods were outshot 30-25.

Archers eliminate Redwoods

Schreiber with a low to high shot at 9:42 of the Archers would give them an 11-4 lead early in the fourth quarter. Holman would add to that as the Archers’ defense caused a turnover that resulted in the goal at 7:52.

The Redwoods scored their first goal since 7:57 of the second quarter, with Ryder Garnsey’s low shot finding the back of the net to make it 12-5. Garnsey would then score back-to-back goals as he crashed the net at 5:21 to cut the lead in half 12-6.

The Redwoods scored their third straight goal as Bertrand dived in front of the crease at 3:17 to make it 12-7.

The Archers put the game away at 1:16 as Ambler scored his hat trick goal on four shots to make it 13-7. Pannell scored for the Redwoods with 58 seconds left to make it 13-8, but at that point, the game was too far out of hand as the Archers advanced to the semifinals.

Don’t forget to check us out every Sunday night at 9 pm (ET)

Shawn Slaght
Shawn Slaght

Shawn Slaght has been a sports reporter across the Canadian prairies for over 10 years and has experience covering everything from junior hockey to World Cup skiing to all levels of lacrosse. He is the Saskatchewan correspondent for All Lacrosse All The Time.