Do You Believe?

Do you believe in the Phillies’ chances of winning the World Series? This is the simplest question to ask but maybe the hardest to answer. All the scenarios are over. Must win in Houston. They need two straight wins in enemy territory. Can the magic come back? They will no longer have the energy of the Phightins fans in Citizen Bank Park.

Cherry Law Firm Website Banner

Starting the World Series in Houston

In Game one of the World Series, the Phillies rallied from a 5-0 deficit to beat the Astros 6-5 in 10 innings. That was just the sixth comeback in World Series history by a team trailing by at least five runs. Phillies fans felt that this team was destined to win after this magical game 1. Game 2 was a different beast. The Astros jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning off of Zack Wheeler. the Astros became the first team in World Series history to start a game with three straight extra-base hits. They go on to a 5-2 victory. They split two games in Houston.

Bringing It Back to CBP

Home cooking was not as helpful as all Phillies thought, except for game 3. The Phillies tie a World Series record with five home runs in game 3. All of the home runs came off Astros starter Lance McCullers Jr. McCullers Jr. becomes the first pitcher in any postseason game to surrender five home runs. The Phillies win 7-0.

The Astros answered back with some postseason history of their own. This came in the form of a no-hitter. OK, a combined no-hitter. Cristian Javier’s pitching stunned the Phillies’ bats. He went six hitless frames in Houston’s 5-0 victory to even the series.

Game 5 was the type of game we came to expect in this series. It ended in favor of Houston. The 3-2 victory for the Astros featured Justin Verlander’s first win in a World Series game and two terrific defensive plays by the Astros in the eighth and ninth innings, including Chas McCormick’s leaping grab at the wall with one out in the ninth.

What Has Gone Wrong?

The Phillies are 1 for their last 21, with runners in scoring position since Game 1. They were no-hit in Game 4 and went a combined 6-for-60 (.100) in Games 4 and 5. This after the Phillies all postseason long have just completely dominated at home.

In the postseason series with the current 2-3-2 format, teams that have been tied 2-2, teams winning Game 5 on the road before going back home for Games 6 and 7 have finished off the series winning 79% of the time. The shortlist of teams to win the other 21% time includes:

  • 2019 Nationals at Astros 
  • 2016 Cubs at Indians
  • 1979 Pirates at Orioles
  • 1968 Tigers at Cardinals
  • 1958 Yankees at Braves
  • 1952 Yankees at Dodgers
  • 1934 Cardinals at Tigers
  • 1926 Cardinals at Yankees

Can the Phillies join this exclusive list? Do the 2019 Nationals remind the Astors that this cannot happen again? Time will tell.

Phightins Phinal Post Game Ad
Phightins Phinal Post Game Ad for Game 6

What Does Vegas Say?

Pitching has been solid in the 2022 MLB playoffs for the Phillies and Astros. The Astros have the second-best team batting average in the playoffs at .232, while the Phillies are seventh at .217. Houston is a -155 favorite (bet $155 to win $100) on the money line currently. (Per Caesars Sportsbook) , The over/under for total runs scored is 7. The Phillies are 7-0 in their last seven games following an off day. The Astros are 5-0 in their last five Saturday games. The question is, do you believe because Vegas goes by the numbers?

NY Giants Trip PST

Do You Still Believe

With all the projections, historical references, and looking at the series to date, the question remains do you still believe? All we have is belief. We have to rally around this team. One thing this team has is fight. Let us hope they still have the magic left. This writer still believes, and Lets Go, PHILLIES! Let’s forget Red October and make it a November to Remember!

Al Zaffiri
Al Zaffiri

Al is one of the two co-creators of Edge of Philly Sports. Al started radio and podcasting in 2012 and covering sports in 2015. A lifelong Philly sports fan since watching the Eagles, Phillies, Sixers, and Flyers with his grandfathers at age 7. Al always looks at the other side of the hot topics and gives his different outlook on those topics. Web and Graphic Design.

Previous

Next