Firewolves Ring In The New Year With OT Win

The Albany Firewolves would ring in the New Year by picking up an 11-10 overtime win over the Saskatchewan Rush on New Year’s Eve in Saskatoon.

Albany nearly ran away with the game. Saskatchewan was able to erase a five-goal deficit to tie the game in the fourth quarter. Frank Scigliano, although he had a slow start, was stellar in the fourth quarter. He shut out the Firewolves to allow the Rush offense to tie the game up. However, Ethan Walker was the hero, scoring 55 seconds into the overtime period.

It was a goaltending clinic as Scigliano stopped 46 of 57 shots in the loss. Meanwhile, Doug Jamieson also faced a lot of rubber, stopping 44 of 54 shots for the win.

Ethan Walker and Alex Simmons both ended the game with hat tricks for Albany. Zach Manns continued his hot streak for Saskatchewan with three goals and six points, while Ryan Keenan also added a hat trick.

Philly Sports Trips Generic

Albany Jumps Out To A Narrow Lead

Albany got off to a quick 2-0. Ethan Walker opened the scoring 2:02 into the game on the power play. Marshall Powless followed that up 34 seconds later to make it 2-0.

The Rush back with Ryan Keenan’s shot through the middle fooled Doug Jamieson on the power play at 4:03. Zach Manns tied up the game 11 seconds later as he fought off a defender to find the back of the net.

With 10:22 on the clock, a weaker bouncer by Powless got by Frank Scigliano as the Firewolves went ahead 3-2. Walker made it 4-2 with 9:54 after getting a quickstick shot off a feed from Alex Simmons.

Saskatchewan got back within one in the dying seconds of the first quarter. Jake Boudreau on transition fed Mike Triolo on a two-on-one to make it 4-3 at the break.

Firewolves Hold Strong At The Half

Nathan Grenon’s outside shot 1:04 into the second quarter put the Firewolves up 5-3. The Rush answered back when Keenan found Manns at the side of the net at 2:23.

Grenon struck again just over one minute later with a spin move to make it 6-4. Simmons rounded out the scoring with 7:08 on the clock as the Firewolves led 7-4 at the half.

The Comeback Begins

Travis Longboat got on the board as the Firewolves extended their lead to 8-4 with a long-distance shot 1:21 into the third quarter. Tye Kurtz would then make it 9-4 for Albany with a shot that went through two defenders.

Manns got the Rush back on the board with 5:01 left in the quarter going coast to coast before rifling a shot. Ryan Barnable then found Jerrett Smith on transition with 3:34 left and Saskatchewan was back within three 9-6.

Albany restored their four-goal cushion with 2:22 on the clock with Simmons charging to the net.

However, Manns found Church for the open cage with 5.6 seconds left in the third to make it 10-7 after the third quarter.

Walker Calls Game In OT

Momentum swung in Saskatchewan’s favour as they would tie up the game with three goals, while Frank Scigliano closed the door in goal for the Rush.

Down a man, the Rush once again found a way to score shorthanded. At the 1:40 mark, Church’s shot deflected off of Keenan and into the back of the net to make it 10-8.

Nathaniel Kozevnikov would get the Rush within one, 3:35 into the fourth quarter. And then, with 7:36 left in regulation, Keenan drove to the net to force overtime at 10-10.

In the overtime period, the Firewolves would ring in the New Year with Walker rifling home a shot 55 seconds into the extra frame.

Top Scorers


Alex Simmons, 3g 4a

Ethan Walker, 3g 3a

Tye Kurtz, 1g 4a


Zach Manns, 3g 3a

Ryan Keenan, 3g 1a

Robert Church, 1g 3a

Rush Captain Ryan Keenan commented after the game:

Rush Head Coach Jimmy Quinlan gave his thoughts after the game:

Don’t forget to check us out every Sunday night at 9pm (ET) on

Shawn Slaght
Shawn Slaght

Shawn Slaght has been a sports reporter across the Canadian prairies for over 10 years and has experience covering everything from junior hockey to World Cup skiing to all levels of lacrosse. He is the Saskatchewan correspondent for All Lacrosse All The Time.