The Philadelphia 76ers opened summer league against the Memphis Grizzlies in the Salt Lake City League tonight. It was a pretty exciting game, very fast-paced featuring the youth of both franchises. The Grizzlies featured Ziaire Williams the 10th pick in the 2021 draft while Sixers featured fan favorite Paul Reed along with Isaiah Joe, Charles Bassey and Jaden Springer. All spent time last season with the Philadelphia 76ers.
The 76ers started off slow defensively missing assignments and not closing out on three-point shots. Jake LaRavia, who was pick 19 in the 2022 draft went 3 for 4 from three in the 1st half leading the Grizz with 10 points. He finished with 13 pts, 4 rebounds. The Sixers defense picked up as they closed the half with a steal and length of floor score by Aminu Mohammed cutting the deficit to 8 at the half. Paul Reed led all scorers with 13 at the half finishing with 20 points and 15 rebounds for the game.
The Sixers continued to grind in the second half with Jaden Springer scoring 11 points in the 3rd as the Sixers cut the lead to 5. The Grizzlies continued to hit threes, but it was much harder in the second half. Charlie Brown Jr. was a bright spot on both sides of the ball finishing with 15 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and 1 block.
This was a fast-paced game with a ton of ball movement especially for the Memphis Grizzlies. Ziare Williams looked like a future pro finishing with 14 points and 8 assists. Xavier Tillman led all Grizzlies with 16 points. Isaiah Joe finished with 19 points including a clutch three with 1:12 left in the fourth. Jaden Springer turned it over on the final possession as the Sixers lost 113-109. G-League Finals MVP Trevelin Queen missed tonight’s game due to reconditioning.
Freddy Five (Takeaways)
- Jaden Springer reminds me of Zhaire Smith. He can’t shoot a lick but as a ton of athleticism. Good things are he is a lot younger with more time to develop that shot. Also, the Sixers didn’t give up a 1st rounder and Mikal Bridges to get him.
- Charlie Brown, Jr looked like the three and D wing the Sixers need tonight.
- Paul Reed is way better than the competition which allows him to not really improve here. He had the same sloppy, over aggressive defense that will most definitely be fouls in the NBA.
- Would love the Sixers to play with the ball movement the Grizzlies had in Summer League and in “The League”.
- Charles Bassey got banged down low multiple times which tells me the NBA is far away right now.
Live Game Reaction
Next Up is the Jazz at 9PM on ESPN 2.
Edge of Philly Sports
Co-Host & Writer
Photo by David Dow/NBAE via Getty Images