Langley takes Game 1 of the Mann Cup

Shawn Slaght, All Lacrosse All The Time – A Division of the Edge of Philly Sports Network

The Langley Thunder got off to a quick start to defeat the Peterborough Lakers 16-11 on Friday night in Game 1 of the Mann Cup.

It was a high-scoring affair as many would expect, but the question going into the game was how Langley’s relatively inexperienced defense would match up against Peterborough’s high-powered offence.

Peterborough outshot Langley 61-43 with Frank Scigliano making 50 of 61 saves for Langley. On the other end of the floor, Doug Buchan stopped just six of the first 12 shots he faced before he was pulled in favour of Matt Vinc.

If Peterborough hopes to win another Mann Cup championship, they’ll have to play catch up heading into Game 2.

Fast start for the Thunder

Curtis Dickson scored within the first minute to make it 1-0 for Langley to quiet the hometown crowd. Langley would then extend their lead four minutes later. Dickson found Connor Robinson at the side of the net to extend the lead.

Austin Hasen got the Lakers on the board at 12:17 with a long bouncer. Langley responded right back at 10:29. Robinson scored 10 seconds into the power play to make it 3-1 for the Thunder.

Hasen scored his second at 8:38 to make it 3-2 before Langley would go on a three-goal run.

Dylan Kinnear would start it off at 7:09 with an outside shot through traffic. Dickson would add to the lead at 6:27 and, seven seconds later, Matt Abbott got crushed by Robert Hope, but the ball landed in Kinnear’s stick. Kinnear was then able to put it away for the goal.

Kinnear’s goal signaled the end of the night for Doug Buchan in Peterborough’s net, as he was replaced by Matt Vinc.

Hasen stopped the bleeding at 4:30 to make it 6-3. Mark Mattews then beat the buzzer with 1.5 seconds left on the clock with the extra attacker to make it 6-4 for Langley after the first period.

Peterborough tries to regain momentum

Turner Evans got Peterborough back within one, 6-5, only 34 seconds into the second period. Kinnear would strike back at 16:46 to put Langley ahead 7-5.

Twenty-four seconds later Kiel Matisz scored to keep the Lakers within striking distance. Langley would follow up it with a four-goal run. Scoring for Langley were Robert Church, Dane Dobbie, and two more from Kinnear.

Matthews would stop the run at 4:10, but Dobbie added markers at 3:08 and 2:40 to make it 13-7 for the Thunder.

Peterborough’s offence showed some life at the end of the second quarter. After taking a too many men penalty, Holden Cattoni scored shorthanded at 1:03 and Shawn Evans scored shorthanded with 40 seconds left in the period to make it 13-9 for Langley heading into the third period.

Langley holds on for Game 1 win

Langley got back on track 23 seconds into the third period with a goal from Dickson. Cattoni replied at 16:22 to make it 14-10.

Dickson restored Langley’s five-goal lead at 11:21 and the game clock became Peterborough’s worst enemy. Matthews scored at 9:02, but they were running out of time.

With Vinc out for the extra attacker, Dobbie scored on the empty net with 2:40 left to play to give Langley the 16-11 win in Game 1 of the Mann Cup. Game 2 goes Saturday night in Peterborough.

Top Scorers

Langley Thunder

Curtis Dickson, 4g 4a

Dane Dobbie, 4g 4a

Dylan Kinnear, 5g 1a

Peterborough Lakers

Mark Matthews, 3g 4a

Shawn Evans, 1g 4a

Austin Hasen, 3g

Kiel Matisz, 1g 2a

Don’t forget to check us out every Sunday night at 9 pm (ET)

Shawn Slaght
Shawn Slaght

Shawn Slaght has been a sports reporter across the Canadian prairies for over 10 years and has experience covering everything from junior hockey to World Cup skiing to all levels of lacrosse. He is the Saskatchewan correspondent for All Lacrosse All The Time.