Rochester completes comeback over Calgary

The Rochester Knighthawks came from five goals back to complete the comeback over the Calgary Roughnecks on Saturday night in National Lacrosse League action.

The Knighthawks trailed 10-5 at the half but scored eight unanswered goals to take a 14-13 win over the Roughnecks.

It was a rough start for Rochester goaltender Rylan Hartley as he allowed eight goals off of 14 shots before being pulled in favour of Riley Hutchcraft.

The goaltender switch changed the momentum as Hutchcraft allowed only five goals off of 33 shots and gave the Knighthawks a chance to win.

On the other side of the floor, Christian Del Bianco faced a lot of rubber for the Roughnecks. He stopped 50 of 64 shots in the loss.

Calgary jumps out to an early lead

Connor Fields would get Rochester on the board first 3:21 into the game. Calgary replied right back off a goal from Haiden Dickson 30 seconds later to tie up the game.

Calgary quickly took the lead 14 seconds later off a goal from Tyler Pace. The Roughnecks added goals from Dan Taylor and Shane Simpson to take a 4-1 lead.

Ryan Smith stopped the bleeding with 5:10 left to play in the first but Harrison Matsuoka scored 43 seconds later to restore Calgary’s three-goal cushion.

Fields scored with 1:25 on the clock to make it 5-3. However, Jesse King found the back of the net just before the buzzer with four seconds on the clock to make it 6-3 for Calgary after the first quarter.

Roughnecks chase Hartley from the net

Thomas Hoggarth and Pace scored in the first 1:27 in the second quarter, ending the night for Hartley in Rochester’s goal.

The switch in goal breathed some life into the Knighthawks. Smith scored with 6:33 on the clock followed by an unassisted marker from Mitch Ogilvie as Rochester pulled back within three.

The Roughnecks rounded out the scoring with goals from Tanner Cook and Dickson as Calgary led 10-5 at the half.

Lacrosse is a game of momentum

Remember, lacrosse is a game of momentum and Rochester took it in the third quarter.

Hutchcraft stopped all of the shots he faced. Meanwhile, the offense put up five goals to tie up the game.

Kyle Waters opened the scoring 2:11 into the third. Ryland Rees scored at the 5:53 mark. Fields would then bring the Knighthawks within two 1:27 later. Turner Evans found the back of the net on the power play with 1:53 left in the quarter. Matt Gilray then tied it up 10-10 heading into the fourth quarter.

Comeback over Calgary completed

Smith scored 50 seconds into the fourth quarter and Rochester took their first lead since early in the first quarter. The Knighthawks added goals from Gilray and Austin Hasen for their eighth straight goal.

Pace got Calgary back on the board on the power play at 5:34 followed by a goal from Josh Currier with 6:53 on the clock as Calgary pulled within one.

Fields potted his fourth of the game with 2:49 left in the game to make it 14-12.

Dickson brought Calgary within one with 20 seconds left. However, the Roughnecks couldn’t find the equalizer as Rochester completed the comeback over Calgary 14-13.

Top Scorers

Rochester Knighthawks

Connor Fields, 4g 2a

Ryan Smith, 3g 3a

Austin Hasen, 1g 4a

Calgary Roughnecks

Jesse King, 1g 6a

Tyler Pace, 3g 3a

Tanner Cook, 1g 3a

Dan Taylor, 1g 3a

Don’t forget to check us out every Sunday night at 9pm (ET) on

Shawn Slaght
Shawn Slaght

Shawn Slaght has been a sports reporter across the Canadian prairies for over 10 years and has experience covering everything from junior hockey to World Cup skiing to all levels of lacrosse. He is the Saskatchewan correspondent for All Lacrosse All The Time.