St. Joe’s Frenzied Rally Falls Short

St. Joe’s frenzied rally falls short, 16-13. Anyone who has met St. Joseph’s Head Coach, Taylor Wray will mention his on-field intensity and his “never quit” attitude. That attitude was on full display on Tuesday afternoon. The (0-2) Hawks went into Delaware Stadium to battle the (2-1) Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens.

Delaware came out firing on all cylinders and within a four-minute span, jumped out to a 4-0 advantage. It wouldn’t take long for the Hawks to say, “please Mr. Robinson” as Mike Robinson exploded. Robinson (9g), you read that right, 9 goals,  scored his first two just :07 apart and Delaware was feeling it. All of :32 elapsed before Tye Kurtz (3g,1a) added his first. Ad

Robinson said, “hold my beer” and notched his third just a minute and a half later to get it to 4-0 with only 4:56 played. Tucker Brown (1g) ended the deluge but Delaware went right back to work and ripped three more goals courtesy of Justin Scott (1g) and a pair from… yeah, that guy…Robinson, for his third and fourth on the quarter which came to its conclusion with Hens up, 7-1.

Kevin McCormick (1g) and Nick Jesse responded and pushed it to 9-1. The Hawks had had enough and responded with singles from Levi Anderson (3g,1a) and Shane Fable (1a) setting up Matt Bohmer (4g) on a pretty feed and the uphill battle had begun.

If Delaware needed a goal to squash the uprising, who do you think would get it? Not naming his name but, his initials are Robinson. The Owls fired back off goals from Bohmer, Anderson and the third from Bohmer. Delaware’s Owen Grant (1g,1a) answered but Austin Strazzula (2g) saw and matched.

It’s been about fifteen words since I mentioned Robinson who hit rope again to close the half with Delaware up five at 12-7. Scoring slowed in the third with Tye Kurtz making it 13-7 before Matt Tufano (1g,1a) converted a Levi Anderson set up that took the combatants to the final quarter with St. Joe’s facing a 13-9 deficit.

Anderson got it within three but, the man of the hour, Robinson put the lead back to four. Robinson would add his 9th on a man-down situation just :38 later and it seemed over. But, St. Joe’s mirrored the intensity and no quit of their coach and kept playing hard.

Bohmer, on the man up and Kurtz, went goal for goal but Sean Voelker(1g) at :37 and Evan Campbell (1g) as time expired brought it to the 16-13 final.

Dis and Dat

What figured to be a FoGo battle between the Hawks Zach Cole and local Haverford product, Jake Hervada for Delaware was anything but. Cole was a blistering 23 of 32 and Cole was the reason the first half wasn’t much worse by winning 16 of 21. Shots favored Delaware, 54-39 with ground balls being even, 34-34. St. Joe’s frenzied rally falls short

Kevin Neibauer
Kevin Neibauer

Kevin has followed and promoted the game of lacrosse since May 19, 1974.
The same day the Philadelphia Flyers won the Cup, the Philadelphia Wings were introduced to Neibauer and Philadelphia.

Kevin has covered many sports, including baseball, football, basketball, and.. lacrosse. A former licensed football referee and baseball umpire, Kevin brings a unique insight to his game coverage.

A published writer in JustHockey Magazine, Kevin covered the American Hockey League as well as a monthly story on a pugilist where Kevin used the pen name, The Rink Rat. Neibauer turned his attentions to lacrosse for a few years and does his part, whether podcasting or writing to grow the game. Kevin branched out to his roots and currently provides insight for all Philadelphia teams for Edge of Philly as well as his full-time duties with LaxPhilly.