This week’s Throwback Thursday player is Doug Favell
Thank you to the Ontario Lacrosse Hall of Fame for the statistics…
– ONTARIO ALLSTAR AND LEADING SCORER IN JR. A FROM 1963 TO 1966.
– SCORED FASTEST 3 GOALS IN MINTO CUP HISTORY IN 11 SECONDS WITH THE OSHAWA GREEN GAELS IN 1964.
– ONLY ATHLETE TO WIN THE MINTO CUP WITH OSHAWA GREEN GAELS, AND THE MEMORIAL CUP WITH THE NIAGARA FALLS FLYERS JR. A HOCKEY CLUB IN THE SAME YEAR, 1964.
– Favell also played lacrosse professionally for the Detroit Olympics of the National Lacrosse Association in 1968 and the Philadelphia Wings of the National Lacrosse League in 1974.
OLYMPICS, ST. CATHARINES GOLDEN HAWKS AND PHILADELPHIA WINGS BETWEEN 1968 AND 1975 BEFORE HE WAS FORCED TO QUIT BY TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS HOCKEY CLUB.
– VOTED ST. CATHARINES PLAYER OF THE DECADE FOR THE 60’S AND WAS INDUCTED INTO BOTH THE ST. CATHARINES AND OSHAWA’S SPORTS HALL OF FAMES.
INDUCTED INTO THE ONTARIO LACROSSE HALL OF FAME IN 2005.
Gary Groob has been involved with Lacrosse for the majority of his life, whether playing, coaching, or covering the sport for the media.
An avid fan, with a real drive about helping to “grow the game”, Gary became part of podcasts about the game 10 years ago. Through the podcasts, Mr. Groob had an opportunity to write about lacrosse, and the rest as they say, is history.
Through many miles (flying and driving) Gary has made inroads with the National Lacrosse League, Major Series Lacrosse League, the Ontario Lacrosse Association, as well as the Arena Lacrosse League, covering the leagues, their teams, and players, working for, and in concert with all of them.
In the year 2020, Mr. Groob was made the media person for the Arena Lacrosse League, voted onto the board of directors of the Brampton Excelsiors Lacrosse Club, as well as being made administrator of the Lacrosse page “Global Lacrosse” with a membership of 9000 members in over 90 Countries. Gary was also made an administrator of Lacrosse History Past Present and Future in 2022.
Mr. Groob co-hosts a weekly Lacrosse show on Spanglish Sports World, and ZingoTV channel 250, as well as writes a weekly lacrosse column for La Portada Canada News (both in print, and online).
Mr. Groob also hosts a Lacrosse talk show and podcast for The Edge of Philly Sports Network, seen live Sunday nights at 9pm (ET), and archived on the Edge of Philly YouTube page, as well as Spotify.
Mr. Groob’s other sports interests include Hockey, Football, Boxing, Wrestling, and Baseball, competing competitively in Boxing and Wrestling for many years.