Thunder chop down Nanaimo Timbermen

Shawn Slaght, All Lacrosse All The Time – A Division of Edge of Philly Sports Network

Despite outshooting the Langley Thunder 58-47, the Nanaimo Timbermen couldn’t mount a comeback in an 8-6 road loss on Wednesday night.

Just four days earlier, these two teams met with Curtis Dickson scoring a shorthanded goal with 15 seconds left in the game to give Langley the narrow victory. This game was much different as Langley took control of the game in the second period and wouldn’t relinquish the lead for the rest of the game.

It was also a battle for third place in the standings. Langley now improves to 3-1 to keep pace with the Victoria Shamrocks and Coquitlam Adanacs at the top. Meanwhile, Nanaimo drops to 2-4 and trails the 2-3 New Westminster Salmonbellies for fourth place.

Thunder get off to a booming start

Langley would get on the board first 1:26 into the game with Thomas Vaesen finding the back of the net. Evan Messenger would tie the game at 4:32 and Zach Manns would score 19 seconds later to put Nanaimo ahead 2-1.

The Timbermen would then find themselves in penalty trouble. A Jerret Smith high sticking penalty led to a Robert Church power-play marker at 9:29.

Church would convert again nine seconds into the man-advantage at 16:23 with the Timbermen’s Evan Messenger serving a cross-checking penalty. The goal would give the Thunder a 2-1 lead at the first intermission.

Timbermen keep it a one-goal game

Dane Dobbie worked his magic 6:20 into the second period shorthanded to extend Langley’s lead to 3-1. Dickson and Preston Lupul added markers as well to finish off a five-goal run between the first and second periods. The run would prove to be monumental for the rest of the game.

The Timbermen would battle back with a three-goal run of their own.

First, Teioshontateh McComber would score at the 15:41 mark. Two minutes and three seconds later, Evan Messenger would score on an individual effort. Taggart Clark rounded out the scoring with a goal with 38 seconds left in the period.

The Thunder held a narrow 6-5 lead heading into the final stanza.

Thunder holds on to a late lead

Although there was very little scoring in the third period, it didn’t lack any excitement.

It wasn’t until the 11:24 mark of the third period before anyone would find the back of the net. With the extra attacker on the floor, Church would score his hat trick goal to make it 7-5.

After a too many men call on the Timbermen at 13:47, Dobbie would score on the power play at 14:27 with an extra attacker, giving the Thunder a two-man advantage.

Zach Manns would score on the empty net on the power play with 15 seconds left to play to get the Timbermen within two before the buzzer sounded.

Three Stars

  1. Curtis Dickson, Langley
  2. Robert Church, Langley
  3. Charles Claxton, Nanaimo

Top Scorers

Langley Thunder

Curtis Dickson, 1g 4a

Robert Church, 3g 2a

Dane Dobbie, 2g 3a

Nanaimo Timbermen

Zach Manns, 2g 1a

Taggart Clark, 1g 2a

Colton Lidstone, 2a

Evan Messenger, 2g

Shawn Slaght
Shawn Slaght

Shawn Slaght has been a sports reporter across the Canadian prairies for over 10 years and has experience covering everything from junior hockey to World Cup skiing to all levels of lacrosse. He is the Saskatchewan correspondent for All Lacrosse All The Time.