Union Shutout Inter Miami CF

The 3rd place Philadelphia Union hosted the 2nd to last place Inter Miami CF on a rainy Sunday night at Subaru Park. A game where the Union absolutely destroyed Inter Miami CF with the help of homegrown players.

The game started out very poorly for Miami, their player Andrés Reyes would receive a yellow card within the first 5 min of the game. From then on, the Union would be testing Miami’s defense for the first 30 min of the half. The Union would prove successful when homegrown talent Anthony Fontana scored in the 25th minute of the match. He was set up by Kacper Przybylko would set up a pass outside of the box and Fontana made a move then knocked it right in the back of the net setting up the Union with a 1-0 lead in the first half. This was Fontana’s 2nd start with the club and his 4th goal in 3 games for the Union.

Much after the goal Miami tried to come back and they actually held the ball for 51% of the first half and had 8 shots but only one on target, they couldn’t mustard up a goal and would be down at halftime 1-0

Miami would try to mix things up in the second half by subbing in Robbie Robinson in for Juan Agudelo. That would almost help as Miami would set up for an equalizing goal if it wasn’t for Andre Blake making an incredible save in the 61st minute. Andre Blake would go on to have a second clean sheet in a row and even Jim Curtain said “there is a reason why he wore the captain sleeve tonight”. But also, the Union decided to make their first sub in the 61st minute too. Subbing in Ilsinho for goal scorer Anthony Fontana. Ilsinho would continue the magic Fontana had as he would score in the 69th minute from another Przybylko assist. Przybylko’s assist marks the 3rd time this season a Union player had 2 assists in a game joining Matt Real and Mark McKenzie who each had two assists in the club’s win against Montreal on September 20.

The Union would give up a sloppy handball foul in the box that had to be checked and confirmed by VAR. This would set up a pk for Miami. Gonzalo Higuaín would take the pk but only to have the ball sail right over the goal. Soon after the pk, Gonzalo Higuaín would get in the face of several Union players and they had to be broken up by the ref.

The Union would continue to play solid defense and counter attack keeping Miami on their toes. But due to cramps and injury breaks, there would be 9 minutes of stoppage time added on to the game. The dagger in the heart would come from Brenden Aaronson who would score an unassisted goal in the 96th minute of the game. This would be Aaronson’s 4th goal of the season marking a career high for the young homegrown talent.

The Union would win the game 3-0, completely shutting out Inter Miami CF. The Union would then improve to 8-4-2 and taking control of 2nd place of the Eastern Conference. The Union’s next game is away at Rentschler Field on October 3 where they will face Toronto F.C. at 7:30pm.

Eric Williamson
Eric Williamson

Eric Williamson is the host of the Union podcast Full Time Philly and also contrinutes to many of the Union coverage. He is a huge fan of all the 4 major Philly teams on top of music too.