Union Stage Comeback Win

The Union stage comeback win. The Philadelphia Union came into Olympic Stadium to play C.F. Montreal in their home opener of the 2022 MLS season. The Union was hoping to bounce back from their disappointing draw last week from their 2-0 loss to Orlando City SC. In the defense, Jim Curtin would start the game in a 4-4-2 formation with Wagner, Elliot, Glesnes, and Marriel. Flach Martinez, Gazdag, and Bedoya are in midfield. Satos and Carranza as the striking duo. Then with Andre Blake in as goalie.


First Half

The Union would start the game off strong with an opportunity from Carranza, who would be trouble for Montreal in the game and physically. Montreal’s goalie would end up getting kicked from Bedoya early in the game, and then later on in the 36th minute the goalie would get taken out by Carranza, who the got a long talking to from the referee. But no card was given to either of the players.

Montreal would end up scoring first in the game from a nice lifted floater from Lassi Lappalaine that went right over the head of Andre Blake. Making the game 1-0 heading right into halftime. Montreal was controlling the game on the stat line at the half as they really kicked it into high gear halfway through the 1st half. They ended up controlling 58% of the possession and were beating the Union in shots on goal 4-1.

Dolans Bar

Second Half

Once when the 2nd half got underway, the Union was trying to regain some lost momentum. But right at the 48th minute, C.F. Montreal’s Djordie Mihailovic would take out Carranza and shoot a shot that went right by Blake. But after the referee looked at the play on video review, it was obvious Carranza was fouled, so the goal was disallowed, and the score would remain at 1-0 with Montreal’s fans not happy with the decision.

The Union would not get the equalizer goal, but they would also take the lead within 7 minutes of Montreal’s disallowed goal. The first goal was scored by Bedoya when Montreal just failed to clear the ball out of the box, which Alejandro Bedoya would capitalize on. The go-ahead goal was when Wanger lifted the ball to Carranza, who would then, in turn, pass it over to Daniel Gazdag, who would put the ball in the back of the net. The Union now has a 2-1 lead over the Canadian team.

The FInale

Carranza would then receive two yellow cards, which resulted in him getting a red card. He was sent off for the rest of the match. The first incident occurred in the 63rd minute. He committed a foul and then again in the 70th minute when he was sent off. The Union would then be down to 10 players on the field. Mikael Uhre would then be subbed on in the 75th minute. The Danish league star and golden boot winner would make his Union debut. Carranza would end up causing some havoc for the Montreal defense.  

Montreal would then fight back. After a couple of substitutions from Jim Curtin, the Philly defense could hold off the Montreal attack for the next 26 minutes (6 minutes of stoppage time). Stellar performance from Andre Blake too. While he let up a goal early in the game, he would finish with four saves. The Union would hold on with a 2-1 win. Union stage a comeback win.

The Union now has a record of 1-0-1 starting this early MLS campaign. They will look to build off this energy next week when they host the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday, March 12th, at Subaru Park.
Eric Williamson
Eric Williamson

Eric Williamson is the host of the Union podcast Full Time Philly and also contrinutes to many of the Union coverage. He is a huge fan of all the 4 major Philly teams on top of music too.