Union Stay Undefeated at Home

Chester, PA: The 2nd place Philadelphia Union hosted the 8th place Montreal Impact on a chilly and rainy Sunday night at Subaru Park. For the first time this year, there were fans in the stadium. The official number of fans were 2,205 for the match.

The first half the Union offense came out firing. Creating a couple of set pieces and even one shot on target (that was saved) within the first 20 seconds of the game from Brenden Aaronson. A scary point within 10 minutes was Andre Blake going down after making a save, he would end up hitting the back of his head on the cross bar but after medical attention he was fine and stayed in the game.

After the first 10 minutes the Union’s offense stagnated, they would get opportunities through counter attack and with the help of some stellar defense. The Union’s big break came in the 38th minute when Jamiro Monteiro received a pass from Ilsinho to set up the Union with a 1-0 lead.

The Impact would try to equalize the goal they given up even with 4 minutes of stoppage time added in the 1st half. But the Union would lead the possession with 54.2% of the time and have two shots on target. Montreal would have 5 shots but none on target. The 1st half would come to an end with the Union up 1-0.

The Union would use their 1st sub at the start of the 2nd half, subbing in Sergio Santos for Warren Creavalle. This sub was worth it as Santos would score a goal in the 49th minute from a great pass set up by Islinho and Brenden Aaronson. The game is now 2-0 Union leading.

In the 54th minute, Montreal’s Samuel Piette would receive a yellow card. But the Union would get a yellow card too in the 58th minute of the match, the player was Olivier Mbaizo. In a series of yellow cards Montreal would receive one more within seconds of Mbaizo, the caution was given to Victor Wanyama. Mbaizo would then get subbed out of the game for Matt Real after an injury following his yellow card.

Montreal would then get a goal back in the 64th minute of the match. Amar Sejdic would sling one past Andre Blake with the help of Romell Quioto to make the game 2-1. Then in the 70th minute, a yellow card was given to another Impact player, this time it was Jorge Corrales. But the Union would take the hurting Ilsinho out after getting tackled and bring on Anthony Fontana in that same minute.

In the 75th minute Alejandro Bedoya would receive a yellow card while trying to make a tackle. At this point, there is 5 yellow card in the game total from both teams. The Union would keep up the offensive pressure, and keeping a defensive hold on the Impact’s offense. The Union would bring on their final sub in the 89th minute taking out goal scorer Brenden Aaronson for Andrew Wooten. The sideline ref would give the match an extra 5 minutes of stoppage time. But Matt Real would get the final yellow card of the match the 6th player to get a yellow card and 3rd Union player. 5 minutes wasn’t enough for the Montreal Impact as the Philadelphia Union won the match 2-1.

This win keeps the home streak alive for the Union as they are unbeaten with 6 straight wins at Subaru Park in the 2020 season. The Union ended the game with 50.1% of the possession and finished with 9 shots and 6 on target. Andre Blake would recorder 2 saves out of the 3 shots on target Montreal had.

With this win, the Union is still in second place behind Toronto F.C. with 34 points. The Union plays its next match on Wednesday, October 14th against D.C. United in Audi Field at Washington, D.C.

Pat Bernard
Pat Bernard

Pat Bernard has four years of podcasting. His first year with the Pattison Ave Phantics and four years running Devereaux Sports. Now currently, both Devereaux Sports and Edge of Sports. Pat is a  for 6 Philly sports fan.  Flyers, Phillies, Eagles, Sixers, Wings, and Union. The Gobbler is a former pro wrestler and ACPW Hall of Famer! He is originally out of Ambler from Northeast Philly (by the Tacony Bridge).  Pat is a credentialed Philadelphia Wings Beat Reported under Edge of Philly Sports.